Tea newsletters are a key part of an email marketing strategy. By making tea emails highly relevant, consumers gain a connection to their favourite products, and brands gain a connection to consumers.
This article examines some of the best tea newsletters to highlight what brands are doing well.
- Harney & Sons Fine Teas
- Living Tea
- Matcha Kari
- O5 Rare Tea
- Pique Tea
- Two Leaves and a Bud
- Yaupon Brothers Tea
- Yunnan Sourcing
Harney & Sons Fine Teas
Harney & Sons Fine Teas is a premium American tea company.
Harney & Sons provides fine tea, from a third-generation tea company, for tea lovers who appreciate specialty tea. Because the Harney & Sons newsletter focuses on providing content, it’s a great newsletter for those looking to learn more about tea and the brand.
Topics and tactics covered in the Harney & Sons newsletter include:
- Welcoming new subscribers with a $5 discount, a small incentive to motivate email subscribers to convert to customers
- Engaging with new subscribers with storytelling techniques (e.g., highlighting the brand's origin story)
- Providing value to subscribers through educational content (e.g., tea 101)
Harney & Sons Fine Teas places a heavy emphasis on showcasing content and focuses less on selling products.
One thing that Harney & Sons Fine Teas does well is offering educational content. Here’s an example.
Living Tea is an online tea shop selling specialty tea.
For tea lovers who appreciate loose leaf tea, Living Tea provides traditional tea that pays homage to tea's heritage. Because the Living Tea newsletter focuses on encouraging subscribers to act, it’s a great newsletter for those looking to engage with a brand.
Topics and tactics covered in the Living Tea newsletter include:
- Welcoming new email subscribers with a 15% discount, motivating subscribers to purchase
- Promising future value to email subscribers (e.g., “In the coming emails, we will explore aspects of the traditional Way of Tea.”)
- Encouraging email forwarding
Living Tea places a greater emphasis on providing lifestyle photos of tea and focuses less on showcasing products.
One thing the Living Tea newsletter does well is to encourage action. Here are two examples:
- “Follow, tag, and mention us. We'd love to share your tea journey on our Instagram, @livingtea.”
- “If you enjoyed this email, please forward it to a friend.”
Matcha Kari is an online matcha store with a clear digital presence.
Matcha Kari provides premium matcha and teaware for matcha drinkers who value specialty products. Because the Matcha Kari newsletter focuses on educating email subscribers, it’s great for those looking to gain mastery over specialized products.
Topics and tactics covered in the Matcha Kari newsletter include:
- Educating email subscribers (e.g., the latest research on matcha)
- Product spotlight and recommendations (e.g., New Ceremonial Organic Matcha)
- Offering lifestyle content (e.g., deep breathing and relaxation)
Matcha Kari places a heavy emphasis on educating email subscribers and focuses slightly less on selling.
One thing that the Matcha Kari newsletter does well is connecting products to benefits and lifestyle choices valued by consumers. Here’s an example.
O5 Rare Tea
O5 Rare Tea is a tea bar in Vancouver with an online presence.
For tea drinkers who enjoy specialty tea, O5 Rare Tea provides expertly curated premium teas sourced from origin. Because O5 Rare Tea focuses on showcasing their product, it’s a great newsletter for those looking to dive deep into the world of specialty tea.
Topics and tactics covered in O5 Rare Tea newsletter include:
- Promoting their products (e.g., 20% off Pan-Fried Chinese Greens, Late Summer Tea Recommendations)
- Showcasing the origin of the tea (e.g., Darjeeling, Land of Thunder)
- Giving a behind the scenes peek at the team, and memories they’ve made with customers and suppliers
O5 Rare Tea places a heavy emphasis on premiumizing their products in both their imagery and newsletter content.
One thing the O5 Rare Tea newsletter does well is diving deep into their products. Here’s an example.
Pique Tea is an online tea company providing powdered tea.
For tea drinkers who value health benefits, Pique Tea provides a range of tea and supplements to help achieve your goals. Because the Pique Tea newsletter focuses on showcasing the health benefits of their products, it’s a great newsletter for those looking to meet health or wellness goals.
Topics and tactics covered in the Pique Tea newsletter include:
- Welcoming new email subscribers with free US shipping (usually $7.99) on their first order
- Educating email subscribers on how to choose products that are right for them
- Providing social proof endorsing the products (e.g., they use reviews in their emails)
Pique Tea places a heavy emphasis on product education and focuses less on selling.
One thing that the Pique Tea newsletter does well is incentivizing email subscribers to remain on their email list. Here’s how:
- “We draw winners for the "Win Free Tea" contest every 2 weeks, so keep an eye on your inbox!”
Tealish is an online tea shop selling specialty tea.
For tea lovers who enjoy variety, Tealish provides a range of products positioned to fit into consumers' lives and provide a benefit (e.g., “PM Detox Tea”). Because the Tealish newsletter focuses on communicating visually, it’s a great newsletter for those looking to get a “feel” for a brand before purchasing.
Topics and tactics covered in the Tealish newsletter include:
- Communicating a value proposition (e.g., Tealish brings you the most exciting and top-end, all-natural tea, wellness products, and hydration essentials to help you live your best life)
- Using visuals effectively, drawing your eye from the top of the email all the way to the bottom
- Using social proof (e.g., press coverage of the brand on BlogTO, and Notable Life)
Tealish places a heavy emphasis on visuals and focuses on copy (text) to a lesser degree.
One thing that the Tealish newsletter does well is that it encourages social connection. Here’s an example.
teapigs is a UK based specialty tea retailer owned by Tata Global Beverages.
For tea lovers who want a range of specialty tea and herbals, teapigs provides unpretentious premium tea products. Because the teapigs newsletter focuses on storytelling, it’s a great newsletter for tea drinkers looking for a richer brand relationship.
Topics and tactics covered in the teapigs newsletter include:
- Welcoming new subscribers and offering a 10% discount on their first purchase
- Positioning their products in the minds of consumers (e.g., showcasing packaging, highlighting quality and taste)
- Storytelling (e.g., the companies origin story)
teapigs places a heavy emphasis on storytelling and focuses less on educating consumers.
Two Leaves And A Bud
Two Leaves And A Bud is an online tea store selling specialty tea and related products.
For tea drinkers who enjoy loose and bagged specialty tea, Two Leaves And A Bud provides tea blends for your enjoyment. Because the Two Leaves And A Bud newsletter focuses on profiling products, it’s a great newsletter for those looking to see tea before purchasing it.
Topics and tactics covered in the Two Leaves And A Bud newsletter include:
- Welcoming new subscribers with a 10% discount.
- Showcasing products with hero and product images. They also offer some educational supplementary content about their products (e.g., “P.S. If you're looking to learn more about our Whole Leaf Tea Sachets, click here and take a look at this video.”)
- Setting expectations for future brand communication (e.g., “We’ll be back now and then to share special promotions, new products, recipes, and useful tips.”)
Two Leaves And A Bud places a heavy emphasis on showcasing their products and focuses less on branding.
Yaupon Brothers Tea
Yaupon Brothers Tea is an American-owned online herbal tea company, selling yaupon.
For tea drinkers who appreciate energy and sustainable agriculture, Yaupon Brothers Tea provides the herbal tea you need. Because the Yaupon Brothers Tea newsletter focuses on leveraging email subscribers, it’s an excellent newsletter for those looking to support a brand actively.
Topics and tactics covered in the Yaupon Brothers Tea newsletter include:
- Product promotion (e.g., Buy 2 yaupon teas and get 1 free, flash sales)
- Asking for engagement from email subscribers (e.g., Help Support the Yaupon Maze, Please vote for us in Orlando Week)
- Showing social proof of brand support (e.g., Morgan Freeman is now a Yaupon Brother, Yazoo Yaupon is LIVE ON QVC!”)
Yaupon Brothers Tea places a heavy emphasis on product sales and focuses less on product education.
Yunnan Sourcing is a small, independent specialty tea company with a strong online presence.
For tea lovers who appreciate specialty tea, Yunnan Sourcing provides premium tea from Yunnan, China, making the brand a truly specialty retailer. Because the Yunnan Sourcing newsletter focuses on showcasing their products, it’s a great newsletter for those looking to discover new teas.
Topics and tactics covered in the Yunnan Sourcing newsletter include:
- Welcoming new subscribers with a 10% discount
- Providing product recommendations (e.g., tea and teaware)
- Incentivize email subscribers to become high-spending customers by showcasing rewards (e.g., Spend USD 300 or more and get one tea cake for free)
Yunnan Sourcing places a heavy emphasis on promoting its products and focuses on education to a lesser degree.
Showcase Your Newsletter
If your tea brand's newsletter is featured on this list, I invite you to share a quote highlighting your email newsletter's value.
Get Your Tea Newsletter Featured
If your tea company invests in email marketing, and you think you have a great newsletter, I invite you to fill out this form.